Show and Share No.347
14 hours ago
|Is it just me, or does nothing make a girl feel prettier than slipping into a flowy spring dress and showing off the sexy nape of her neck with a messy yet très chic chignon? It’s a style that looks and feels so effortless, and at the same time, whispers elegance. Like a ballet dancer. I seriously can’t get enough! But it’s an art to perfect that undone look, and it has taken me years to get it just right. Luckily, I’ve finally figured it out — and I’m going to share my secrets with you! Start with clean, dry and smooth hair (use a straightener and a little anti-frizz serum if you have natural waves or curls). Then, tease the top a tiny bit for volume and an “undone” look. Pull hair back into a low ponytail that you twist and turn into a messy bun. Use bobby pins to fix any loose pieces (though don’t make it too tight and formal), and then pull a few strands out in the front to give it that sexy, just-woke-up look. And voila: You’ve got a ballerina-like do that will surely win you more than a few admiring glances!|
Is it at all possible to feel glamorous — or even just microscopically unscum-like — while attempting to scrub and clean your home? Just the thought of all those chemicals and all that bending and sweating makes us feel hideously unattractive and a million miles away from anything resembling a carefree and refreshing lifestyle. But as luck would have it, the powers that be have heard our plight, and there are now several different cleaning brands and supplies that make scrubbing a much prettier and happier job! Our favorite is this line from Restoration Hardware. So classy and simple. And what’s more, we’ve got tips to help you get your place spiffy in a jiffy this April! Read on for the best way to tackle your annual springtime job:
1. Do your cleaning room by room, completely finishing an entire area before moving on to the next. You’ll feel much less scattered and get a nice sense of accomplishment as you tidy up and finish each room.
2. Don’t feel the need to finish your entire house in one day, or you’ll get overwhelmed and may not even decide to start in the first place! Our rule of thumb is to crack open a bottle of cool, refreshing white wine and clean/drink until the bottle is done. The rest can wait for another day!
3. Work from top to bottom in every room. This will help ensure you remember every nook and cranny, including ceiling fans, air vents, curtains, windows and baseboards.
4. Organize as you clean by making a pile of cast-offs that you can donate or give to friends later. When in doubt about whether or not you need something, remember rule number 27 in our "51 Ways To Feel French Right Now" newsletter bonus: When it comes to home furnishings and clothes in your closet, quality comes before quantity. Invest in and love a few perfect things, not several okay things (because really, who has room in a tiny Parisian flat for things not absolutely loved?!).
5. And last but not least, and this is absolutely essential, give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done, light a few candles, sit back and relax in your fresh, stunningly clean home!
|Happy Good Friday, lovely French Charmed readers! We just wanted to take a moment to wish you a very wonderful Easter weekend and also share these cute little recipes we’re sure will bring a little extra sunshine to your lives. Cake pops are the latest trend in the sweets world, and this Easter themed version featuring Peeps allows trend to meet tradition! And who could resist these adorable little chicks on a stick? Not I, said the duck. :) |
|Nothing says spring like asparagus, and nothing says France like cheese. Let them rendezvous together in a bed of pastry, and you've got yourself one amazing dish! We suggest you don a cute apron like this from the French Charmed boutique and substitute Comte cheese, which is a sweeter French version of the popular Swiss Gruyere, to make this one Frenchtastic kitchen adventure! oxox|
|Well loves, April is usually a rainy month in Paris. But rub a dub, dub: The only water recently has been in the tub! Surprising as it is, it's been pretty sunny over in the City of Love, and according to weather.com, the brightness will continue for at least the next week or so and possibly beyond! So we say put away those rain boots we suggested last time around and break out some sunny kicks in the traditional drizzly-day yellow hue, instead! oxox|
|...bring May flowers. But a girl's gotta get through the showers, first! With the average rainfall in Paris being about 1.78 inches in April, proper rain gear is a must. But there's no sense in splashing through the puddles looking dreary, dears. There is such thing as looking stylish, even while wet! oxox|
|Burberry is always perennially chic, and this waterproof black twill jacket will especially stand the test of time.|
|Rain boots have the tendency to look a bit silly, but not these classy kicks!|
|Why bother with a simple umbrella when you can carry a head-turner like this?|
|As anyone who's been recently wandering the cities of France will tell you, the street markets are bursting with fava beans. Not only are these buttery little nuggets of goodness a spring staple in the country, they're also packed with iron, fiber and vitamins A and C. So make like the French and try your hand at a fava bean recipe! Here are a few links to some that made our mouths water. Oh, and don't forget to check out our shopping totes in the French Charmed boutique. They're perfect for those springtime trips to the market!|
|Spelt Salad with Fava Beans|
|Rigatoni with Fava Beans and Pecorino|
|Seared Scallops with Fava Beans, Bacon and Mint|
|Fava Bean Crostini|
|Red Snapper with Fava Bean Puree|
|Oh, lovelies, how happy we are today! Not only is it a wonderful Friday, it's also the launch of our special April In Paris blog theme! All throughout the month, we'll be bringing you the magic, romance and splendor of springtime in France, from pretty rain gear ideas, to fresh recipes, to the best outdoor cafes to visit while in Paris, to how to spring clean your house French style! And while you enjoy all the wonders we have to shower upon you this month, be sure to check out the French Charmed Boutique for fabulous spring sales, as well as sign up for our newsletter, Le Gazette, for more April In Paris fun!|