Is it at all possible to feel glamorous — or even just microscopically unscum-like — while attempting to scrub and clean your home? Just the thought of all those chemicals and all that bending and sweating makes us feel hideously unattractive and a million miles away from anything resembling a carefree and refreshing lifestyle. But as luck would have it, the powers that be have heard our plight, and there are now several different cleaning brands and supplies that make scrubbing a much prettier and happier job! Our favorite is this line from Restoration Hardware. So classy and simple. And what’s more, we’ve got tips to help you get your place spiffy in a jiffy this April! Read on for the best way to tackle your annual springtime job:
1. Do your cleaning room by room, completely finishing an entire area before moving on to the next. You’ll feel much less scattered and get a nice sense of accomplishment as you tidy up and finish each room.
2. Don’t feel the need to finish your entire house in one day, or you’ll get overwhelmed and may not even decide to start in the first place! Our rule of thumb is to crack open a bottle of cool, refreshing white wine and clean/drink until the bottle is done. The rest can wait for another day!
3. Work from top to bottom in every room. This will help ensure you remember every nook and cranny, including ceiling fans, air vents, curtains, windows and baseboards.
4. Organize as you clean by making a pile of cast-offs that you can donate or give to friends later. When in doubt about whether or not you need something, remember rule number 27 in our "51 Ways To Feel French Right Now" newsletter bonus: When it comes to home furnishings and clothes in your closet, quality comes before quantity. Invest in and love a few perfect things, not several okay things (because really, who has room in a tiny Parisian flat for things not absolutely loved?!).
5. And last but not least, and this is absolutely essential, give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done, light a few candles, sit back and relax in your fresh, stunningly clean home!
Photo credits from top to bottom: restorationhardware.com, pinkjulepabroad.com